Why do we need transition from Tribal Thinking into Civilizational Thinking?
In the whole process of evolution, human species never had a viable strategy of individual survival: we can’t run fast enough to escape a cheetah, or kill a mammoth for dinner in a one-on-one fight.
Humans became a success story and reached the current Anthropocene age, riding on an initial version of group survival strategy: the one enlightened by the torch of Tribal Thinking.
As a result, our 21st century world is intensely globalised and technologically highly advanced, but we are still a Humankind decomposed into tribes that seek dominance in the way they did thousands of years ago.
This reality has significant negative consequences on
The ultimate existential meaning of human civilization: securing the long term self-interest of each individual human being
For the following reasons:
- The ubiquitous political culture of Tribal Thinking has over and over generated the greatest anthropogenic disasters in human history: wars and armed conflicts among various state and non-state actors have ended with tens of millions human lives lost and material culture worth tens of trillions USD destroyed;
- Driven by fear of real confrontation, current world annual military expenditure soared to trillions of USD;
- World economy suffers astronomical losses due to the current rigid rules that lock edge technologies exclusively for military and security purposes and does not allow their use in mass large-scale production;
- The advance itself of human civilization is significantly slowed down by the fact that top IQ human brain potential of the world are employed in the non-productive areas related to defence and security;
- And, most importantly, the real time cutting-edge military capabilities of the weapons deployed around the world have more than enough power to self-destroy Humankind.
Which means that by still operating in the Tribal Thinking version of group survival strategy, in civilizational terms, we have made further technological advance of human society not only obsolete, but also a threat to our very existence as human species on planet Earth.
All we need to solve this existential conundrum is a new version of group survival strategy: the Civilizational Thinking.
Civilizational Thinking is not about creating new ideology or new religion. Civilizational Thinking is only about re-organizing the global political space environment into a universal multifaceted platform, on which all polities in their ideological, political, national, cultural, ethnic, religious, racial, etc. diversity exist, interrelate and compete with each other without conflict – by following incontestable rules that are optimized to protect core values of human civilization.
More than 180 years ago, the Swiss have already made Switzerland a fully functioning prototype for Civilizational Thinking: a socio-political space where people of different ethnicity, different religion and culture, who speak different languages, live together without violence and enjoy a high standard of continuous prosperity.
There is no ground for expectations that some intelligent creatures from other planet will come make the crucial transition from Tribal Thinking into Civilizational Thinking for us. It is we, the humans currently living on planet Earth, who have to roll up sleeves.
We could start with an open source process that generates relevant ideas and induces the appropriate real politics.
Just like the policy making in ancient Greece cities, where free people gathered on public places called Agora to live discuss and decide together what is best for them and for their future.